The Powers of Propolis
So, what is propolis? Bees construct propolis from trees, enzymes and beeswax. For bees, propolis is a protective material that safeguards their beehives. It is also used to repair damages to the hive and honeycomb. Propolis is used as a seal, wrapping around the beehive, and forming a sterile environment that defends the hive from diseases.
The powers of propolis have been known for thousands of years, as it was used by the Greeks, Egyptians and Romans. These ancient civilisations used propolis on wounds, sores, rashes etc. to fight infections and support healing. Nowadays, we are still very much familiar with the health benefits of propolis. These benefits include:
- Oral health – Studies have explored how propolis can assist in limiting bacteria growth in the mouth. As well as limiting bacteria, in turn helping fight oral disease, propolis can also be used for sanitising your toothbrush.
- Topical use – Propolis is great for your skin as it has antiallergy, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. It can assist in healing wounds through promoting collagen growth and the closure of wounds.
The antibacterial and anti-inflammatory characteristics of propolis also means that it’s a great product for those who suffer with acne.
- Immunity – Propolis is best known for its superior strength against the common cold and flu. As an antioxidant and antiviral, it aids the body’s immune system and strengthens it.
Try our Propolis Capsules for an immunity boost.
In the correct form, propolis can be used to relieve a sore throat. It can ease swelling of the mouth and the throat when suffering from a common cold or flu.
Try our Propolis Throat Spray for sore throat relief.
- Respiratory health – Propolis can be great for improving one’s respiratory health. Not only does it reduce inflammation, but it has also been found to ease the severity of asthma attacks.
- Diabetes – Propolis is occasionally used by diabetic individuals as studies have shown that propolis reduces blood sugar levels.
- General wellbeing – There doesn’t always have to be a special occasion! Use propolis for an immunity boost and to aid general well-being.