A Date with Honey
- 1 x 250g stoned dates
- 6 ox (150g) plain flour
- 1 tsp (5ml) baking powder
- 3oz (75g) sunflower margarine
- 6oz (150g) rolled oats
- 5 tbsp (75ml) Happy Valley honey
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- Cinnamon to dust
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Soak the dates in 6 tbsp boiling water and set aside.
- In a large bowl rub together the flour, baking powder and margarine until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, then add the oats.
- Use the honey to bind the mixture.
- Press just over half the mixture into the base of a 28cmx28cm (7"x7") square tin.
- Tip the dates with the liquid into a food processor, ad the orange rind and whiz until pureed.
- Spread the pureed mixture over the oaty base and top with the remaining oat mixture (this will not completely cover the top.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
- When cool dust with icing sugar and cut into squares.
- Serve either on it's own as a tea time treat, or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a scrumptious dessert.
- Makes 9 portions.
Used in this recipe:
Native Manuka is blended with field and native NZ honey to create a rich and mild honey, and still has the strong rich flavour of Manuka that lingers on the taste buds.Happy Valley’s Manuka Honey Blend - is a delicious blend of New Zealand Manuka ... Find out more