Christmas Spice Cookies
4 hrs 20 mins
- 250 grams butter, diced
- 1 cup caster sugar
- ¼ cup golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon clover honey
- ¾ cup flaked almonds
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3-3½ cups flour
- 300 grams store-bought fondant
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 teaspoon glucose
- In a saucepan, melt together the butter, sugar, golden syrup, honey, almonds, cinnamon, cardamom and ginger, stirring gently over a moderate heat.
- Bring to the boil and then remove from the heat.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the water and then stir into the warm butter mixture.
- Cool for 5 minutes.Sift 3 cups of the flour into a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Pour in the warm butter mixture and, using a wooden spoon, mix to a stiff dough.
- Add more flour if necessary to achieve this.
- Turn out onto a floured bench and knead lightly.
- Divide the mixture in half and wrap in plastic wrap or greased paper and refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- This makes the mixture easier to roll out.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºc.
- Lightly grease 2-3 baking trays.
- On a lightly floured bench, roll the mixture out to 3-mm thickness.
- Cut into shapes and place on the prepared trays.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until deep golden brown, but not burnt.
- Transfer to a cake rack to cool.
- Store in an airtight container and decorate as wished.
- These biscuits will keep for 3-4 weeks if kept in a sealed container.
- Fondant icing.Cover the fondant with hot water from the tap and set aside for 10 minutes or until the fondant has begun to soften.
- Pour off the water. Dissolve the sugar in the boiling water and add to the fondant with the glucose.
- Warm in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until the fondant has begun to soften, stir to make a smooth icing.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to cool.
- To decorate, spread the spice biscuits with the fondant and decorate with sliver cachous or other edible decorations.
Used in this recipe:
Clover honey has a very pleasing mild taste with a sweet floral flavour. This honey is packed full of natural goodness.Happy Valley’s Clover Honey is deliciously creamy with a chewy 'fudge-like' consistency and delicate vanilla bean, coconut, pine... Find out more