Honey and Pepper Cured Lamb
- 2 new zealand quality mark lamb boneless loin (striploin), with the skin on
- 2 tblsp rewarewa honey
- 2 tblsp red wine or port
- 1 tblsp whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lemon or lime (grated rind)
- Using a sharp knife, score the fat layer of the strip loins and place in a re sealable bag.
- Place the peppercorns on a chopping board and use the edge of a saucepan to crush them coarsely.
- In a small bowl mix together the peppercorns, honey, salt, red wine or port and lemon or lime rind. Pour into the re sealable bag and toss to coat the lamb.
- Seal the end and place in the refrigerator for four hours or overnight.
- Remove the lamb from the marinade. Heat the oil in a frying pan and sear the lamb over a high heat.
- Roast in a 200 degrees celsius oven for 10 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before carving across the grain.
- Serve with winter vegetables, creamed mashed potatoes and the honey jus.
Used in this recipe:
Happy Valley’s Rewarewa Honey has a beautiful deep amber appearance and rich, full bodied malt-like taste and aroma. The flavour is rich, robust and malty with a hint of bitterness in the after taste. Rewarewa honey is produced from New Zealand's ... Find out more