Honey, Cinnamon and Rye Crumpets
- 110ml warm water
- 2 tsp Happy Valley Manuka honey + another 1 tbsp Manuka honey (divided use)
- 1 tbsp dry active yeast (the kind that needs activating in water first)
- 175g rye flour (or strong wholemeal bread flour)
- 165g strong white flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 335ml room temperature milk (I used almond milk)
- A little bit of oil for the pan and crumpet rings
Special equipment needed:
- crumpet rings or metal rings used with preserving jars; heavy cast-iron skillet or heavy frying pan
- Stir the warm water, 2 tsp honey and yeast together in a bowl until the honey melts.
- Cover and let stand in a warm but not hot place (like an airing cupboard) until bubbly and active – about 15-30 minutes.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl and make a well; pour in the yeasty mix, the 1 tbsp honey and the warm milk.
- Stir well then cover and leave in a warm place to get a bit “holey” and rise.
- Meanwhile, heat just a little oil in your heavy skillet over a low-medium flame, and oil the inside of the crumpet rings.
- Place the rings in the pan to heat up.
- When the batter is springy and quite holey when lifted with a spoon, do a test crumpet: spoon in about 2 rounded tablespoons of batter into one of the rings.
- The batter will not immediately fill the space, and will be quite craggy, but it will sort itself out as it cooks.
- If the batter is ready the test crumpet will spread out to fill the space, and within a couple of minutes quite a few holes will puff to the surface.
- Cook the crumpet for about five minutes, or until it is very golden on the bottom.
- Use tongs to lift away the crumpet rings, and with a spatula turn each crumpet and cook for a further two or three minutes until a pale golden colour.
- Carry on with the remaining batter, re-oiling the pan and rings as needed
- Eat right away slathered in butter and honey. Or, if 15 is too many to get through (!), cool, store and reheat briefly under a grill or in the toaster within three days. These also freeze.
Used in this recipe:
Our UMF® 5+ NZ Mánuka range is 100% pure, NZ independently tested Mánuka honey that contains high levels of special chemical markers not found in other honeys. Our UMF® Range is Independently tested to show it not only meets the New Zealand Gove... Find out more