Lime Sweet & Sour Prawns
- 500 grams shelled green prawns
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup mirin
- 2 tblsp shredded ginger
- Grated rind 3 limes
- Grated rind 1 orange
- ¼ cup verjuice or white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup rewarewa honey
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and diced
- 1½ tsp cornflour
- 4 shanghai bok choy, quartered
- ½ cup toasted cashew nuts
- Marinate the prawns in the orange juice, mirin, ginger, lime and orange rind for 1 hour.
- Drain and reserve the marinade.
- Heat 2-3 tblsp olive oil in a frying pan and cook the prawns over a high heat.
- This may be best done in two batches.
- Set aside.
- Add the marinade to the frying pan with the verjuice, honey and chillies and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Dissolve the cornflour in a dash of water, stir into the sauce and cook until the sauce has thickened a little.
- For sharpness, squeeze in a little lime juice if wished.
- Add the bok choy and poach in the sauce until the leaves have wilted.
- Return the prawns to the sauce and serve over the cashew nut rice cakes garnished with the toasted cashews.
Used in this recipe:
Happy Valley’s Rewarewa Honey has a beautiful deep amber appearance and rich, full bodied malt-like taste and aroma. The flavour is rich, robust and malty with a hint of bitterness in the after taste. Rewarewa honey is produced from New Zealand's ... Find out more