Molasses Bran Breakfast Muffins
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ½cup pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted
- 2 Cups All Bran cereal
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground clove
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup raisins or sultanas, plumped in microwave (30 seconds) with 1/4 cup of orange juice
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Happy Valley Molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups plain yogurt (don't use greek yogurt or the muffins will be too dense.)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Melt butter and allow it to cool.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toast pumpkin seeds on cookie sheet while oven is heating, removing them when they are lightly toasted and beginning to puff a little.
- Line muffin pan with paper liners.
- Process 1 cup of All Bran cereal in food processor until finely ground, about a minute.
- In large bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, clove, cocoa powder and wheat germ.
- Set aside.
- In medium bowl (see what I mean?), whisk eggs till blended.
- Add brown sugar, molasses, vanilla and orange zest.
- Whisk till mixture is thick, about 30 seconds.
- Add melted butter.
- Whisk to combine.
- Add yogurt.
- Whisk to combine.
- Stir in processed cereal and 1 cup of unprocessed cereal.
- Let mixture sit until entirely moist--about 5 minutes.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and gently fold with rubber spatula until batter is combined and evenly moistened.
- Stir in raisins and juice if using.
- Using a 1/3 cup measure, drop batter into muffin cups forming soft mounds.
- Don't level surface.
- Sprinkle pumpkin seeds over the tops of the muffins.
- Bake 16-20 minutes, until muffins are dark golden, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached.