Twice Cooked Pork Belly
Cooking time: 6 hours
- 1kg boneless pork belly or pork slices
- 1 squollop (or 1/4 cup) of Happy Valley's Squeezy Rewarewa honey
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 chinese cooking wine (Shaoxing Wine)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tsp white pepper
- Spring Onion
- Jasmine rice or Bao buns
- Asian Slaw
- Dice pork belly into inch sized cubes.
- Toss pork belly in corn flour and white pepper, shake off any excess.
- Mix together soy, honey, shaoxing wine, water, garlic and ginger.
- Place pork in slow cooker, pour over the sauce.
- Stir to coat and cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8 hours (see recipe notes) or pressure cook for 25 minutes.
- When cooked pork should be tender and starting to fall apart.
- Carefully drain off the sauce into a saucepan and reduce for 10 minutes to thicken and get stickier. Taste the sauce and if you like a particularly sweet sauce add a squizzle more of honey.
- In a large non stick pan carefully fry off the pork in batches until nicely caramelised. Normally about two batches so not to over crowd the pan.
- Toss the pork pieces through the reduced sauce, use as much or as little sauce as you like.
- Serve on steamed jasmine rice with slaw or use as a filling in Bao buns with slaw and Japanese mayo.
Let us know!
Tag us on Instagram with your recipes, photos and reviews! We’d love to see them!
Used in this recipe:
Creamy yet Squeezable Premium taste – but at the same time its raw, so its not heat treated and minimal processing. Add it to anything that needs a touch of happiness. The perfect honey for the busy kitchen This product range is a perfect blend o... Find out more