- 3 cups milk
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 60g butter, melted
- extra 60g butter, for greasing
- 1/2 cup tawari honey
- 2 tbsp white rum
- 110g jar pureed apple baby food
- 250g cream cheese, chopped
- 1/4 cup pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Measure milk into a jug, add white vinegar and stand for 20 minutes.
- Sift flours into a bowl, add sugar and stir to combine.
- Make a well in the centre, add egg, milk mixture and melted butter, and whisk until smooth.
- Stand for 20 minutes, to settle.
- To make apple butter: beat apple puree, cream cheese, icing sugar and cinnamon in the small bowl of an electric mixer until combined and smooth.
- Set aside.
- Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat.
- Smear a little extra butter onto several thicknesses of scrunched paper towel and grease base of pan.
- Pour quarter-cupfuls of mixture into pan, 3 at a time, and cook for 2 minutes until bubbles appear in batter.
- Turn hotcakes over and cook the other side for 2 minutes.
- Stack hotcakes on a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Repeat cooking process with remaining batter.
- Whisk honey and rum in a small jug until combined.
- Serve hotcakes drizzled with honey rum and a dollop of apple butter.