Which honey is right for you? - Happy Valley honey crash course
Which honey is right for me? A crash course on Happy Valley's honey
Welcome to the crash course on the various different honeys at Happy Valley. We’ve got a lot to cover, so let’s get into it!
First of all, what makes different honey, different? Many different factors contribute to the flavour, colour and consistency of the honey. However, the main way we differentiate honey is based on the flower the bees foraged from.
Since this is the key indicator we use, it makes sense to name the honey after said flower.
We have a huge range of honey products - not to mention our wellbeing products - for you to choose from here at happy valley, something for everyone!
Here is a basic run down of our honey ranges:
UMF® Mānuka Honey - delicious honey with benefits
Squeezy Honey - no spoon needed making enjoying honey easier
Infusion Honey - honey combined with natural flavours and extracts
Native Honey - try New Zealand's unique honey's
Honeycomb & Field Honey - taste honey wax & all, the way nature instead
Liquid Honey - enjoy un-creamed honey in its liquid gold state
Now lets talk different honeys and what one is right for you!
The purest forms of Mānuka honey tend to be referred to as monofloral. Monofloral are created when the bees only visit, you guessed it, one flower. So, the beehives must be placed in a site that the Mānuka flower dominants. The bee will return to the hive with Mānuka nectar, ready to craft the purest Mānuka honey possible. Learn more about Multifloral vs. Mānuka Honey - here.
It should be noted however, that it’s inevitable to prevent traces of other floral sources. However, our monofloral Mānuka honey contains abundant levels of the beneficial compounds unique to Mānuka! And this is all tested in a lab to ensure that it is genuine and quality.
Which Mānuka honey best for you?
1. UMF 20+ Mānuka – for targeted happiness, our highest UMF graded Mānuka honey here at Happy Valley, MGO 829+
2. UMF 15+ Mānuka – for targeted happiness, our best seller, affordable potency in a bottle, all the everyday benefits combined with the extra omph of being a high level UMF Manuka, MGO 514+
4. UMF 5+ Mānuka – for everyday affability & this Mānuka is the perfect entry point into genuine raw UMF Manuka honey, our lowest UMF graded, Mānuka honey here at Happy Valley, MGO 83+
If the name didn’t already give it away, field honeys are made from pollen of field flowers. These include clover, wildflower and borage which are found in New Zealand’s valleys and fields.
Which is tasting honey best for you?
1. Clover Honey – Has a mild taste, with hints of sweet vanilla bean, coconut, pineapple and citrus flavours. Its consistency has been compared to fudge.
2. Wildflower Honey – Has a rich, sweet taste. It has both a fragrant multi-floral flavour and aroma.
3. Borage Honey – Has a mild, sweet flavour. It has a rather chewy texture, rather toffee-like.
Our native honeys are crafted from plants and trees commonly found within New Zealand’s native bush. These honeys bring to life the flavours of the pristine and rural New Zealand forest.
Which native honey is best for you?
1. Mānuka Blend Honey – Has the rich Mānuka honey flavour, but slightly milder than UMF standard Mānuka.
2. Rewarewa Honey – Has a rich caramel-like taste, with a slight malty, bitter aftertaste.
3. Kamahi Honey – Has a sweet flavour, with a range of flavours that make it ideal for sweetening dishes. The texture is smooth and creamy.
4. Tawari Honey – Has a sweet taste, similar to that of butterscotch.
5. Pōhutukawa Honey – Has a sweet, floral taste, with a hint of salty sea breezes.